Monday 9 August 2010

The UFO: The Big Lebowski



Right, so, after being told for like the past ever to watch this movie, I finally got around to it last week. Somewhat controversially, I was underwhelmed, confused and worst of all, bored.

That's not to say it's a bad movie. It's not. I just don't think it's as good as everyone says. The charcters were great. I love The Dude's apathy and general easy going-ness throughout the whole movie, as well as the fact that the reason he gets messed up in this whole mess is because he wants a replacement rug (the previous one having been pissed on. Shame as it really tied the room together). He's cool, and instantly likable. I liked John Goodman's Walter Sobchak; the angry, bitter Vietnam vet, who turns everything into an argument.

And I liked the joke that all this stuff is going on around these two yet neither one of them gets too fazed by it all, as they really just want to get back to bowling.



I just didn't get engaged in the movie as there was no real point to it. Which yes, I get was actually the point of the movie, that there is no point, but without a beginning, middle and satisfying end, the whole thing felt kind of hollow to me, like the Coen's just decided to say "America's weird, y'all" and see if we bought into the joke. Also what was the point of Julianne Moore's character really?

I just thought that while the characters were rich and well written, the plot didn't do good service to them. You could do much funnier and cleverer things with the two main charcters, and Donnie (SHUT THE F*CK UP DONNIE!) than I felt was done here.

Maybe I'm missing something and I might change my mind on a rewatch but as it stands, I was quite disappointed. I was expecting something blackly comic in the vein of Fargo, but instead got a mystery movie, where the mystery didn't matter, but the journey to the reveal bored me.

Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment